Tuesday 23 November 2010

Pepsi Facts?

I'm starting to have doubts about the AA meetings - well, not doubts about AA in itself, but in particular, going with Pepsi to the meetings in the week. Don't get me wrong, I really like her. I like spending time with her. It's just that I feel that the fact that her personality is uncannily like mine at times may make things lose their objectivity (if you can ever get such a thing once you start on this 'journey').  I mean that, by reacting to a situation in exactly the same (or even in a similar) way, means that you don't get a different take or perspective on things.  Could these things hinder her recovery and also jeopardize mine?

Jeez, does this sound selfish? She has really helped me by giving me advice, taking me to the meetings etc.. (I mentioned in a previous post that a chat with her really made me come to terms with the fact that I'm an alcoholic - so I'll always be grateful to her for that); but I'm starting to learn that to beat this disease you have to be selfish.  You have to remind yourself that you are doing this first and foremost for yourself and no-one else.  Granted, the welfare of those closest and who you love the most is immeasurably important (L & M, stand up!), but you ultimately stay sober for you

But it's difficult to be selfish (oh, I'm such a good person, aren't I?) - I know that Pepsi's self-esteem can get affected negatively sometimes, and by saying I don't want to go to the meetings with her may put her on downer; and I'd feel part-way responsible for that.  I really don't want to do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment