Friday 26 November 2010

Liquid Lunch and Wilful Words

I went and did it.  Back in the pub for my lunch yesterday.  I felt it was time.

That time was for a challenge.  I had a pint of lime & lemonade and there was never any doubt that I'd be tempted by a pint of beer.  It was in the same lunchtime pub where I would put away 3-5 pints (in fact, it was the boozer whose porch I so elegantly regurgitated on one early afternoon not so long ago...); but it was completely fine.  The one thing I didn't feel so fine about, however, was the bleeding price: £2.40.  Yes, you heard right, two pounds fucking forty!  And you wonder why there are so many bloody alcoholics around!  I ask you!!!

Speaking of said alkies - went to the city centre meeting this lunch and what a curious one!  We were all squeezed into a different room this time (40 or so alcoholics, only 30 or so chairs), and this maybe had an effect on the folks, as not everyone was so eager to share as they usually do (they're normally falling all over each other to share a bit!)..  Granted, we got Mr ManU and his tales of braising steak in slow cookers; 'One of the lads, me' Bob and his stories of being hard in Salford; and Paddy with debauched tales from the catering industry -  we generally get a version of the same story every week with these chaps.  However, in all seriousness, I'm not going to take anything away from them - they're longtime sober, and have turned their lives around.  And regardless of how self-absorbed I sometimes feel they are (and, in fairness, that's me just being a grumpy twat - but, I suppose, who says I have to nod and agree earnestly with everyone who shares), they want to help themselves and others.  So fairplay to them!

Anyway, I shared this week too.  As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, I was going to say something about the steps, and about not getting them etc. Well, seems it didn't work out that way.  Yeah, "I'm [me] and I'm an alcoholic" was exactly how I intended to start, and start that way I did.  But from that point on, it looks as though my words had another plan - they tumbled out as if they had a life of their own.  As I spoke, I could feel myself getting red, but it appears I was articulate and sentient (I think).  I won't go into what order those words lined up in, but I'm pleased with the way they did - plus I got a few laughs too.  So nice one, me - although, is it possible to take credit for words that seem to manifest themselves independently of any input from me?! However, this time, despite this strange incident of possession, I got the feeling my fellow alkies didn't think I was too much of a tit. Well, not that much anyway... 

No comments:

Post a Comment