Wednesday 10 November 2010

First Share

I think that for all of my adult life, I knew I would become an alcoholic. The way really driven young-adults know that they will be lawyers, doctors, rocket-scientists - well, I knew I'd end up here. Success is mine! Ha!

I'll be honest, I've only very recently admitted to myself and others that I am an alcoholic (I'm talking a week). I've always been a heavy-drinker ("that [me] likes to take a drink"; "Jeez, he can put it away"). But, gradually, like a frog in a pan of water that is being heated, before I knew it I was boiling to death!

I had been seeing a counsellor, admitting to myself that I was maybe a dependent drinker (as I was drinking on average about 28 units a day - that's a day not a week). But I was under the belief I could pare back and control my drinking; become a 'social drinker'. Well now I know there's no chance of that - and admitting this has been a massive weight off my shoulders.

I'm doing this for me, but also for my wonderful wife & daughter; for our families; and for my friends that truly matter (think I'll know who they are soon enough!). I don't pretend it will be easy; in fact I'm pretty certain it will be a whole bowl of hell (Christmas coming up and all that) - but, all I can do is try. One day at a time - a cliché, I know; but it's a cliché for a reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment