Thursday 20 January 2011

And the Oscar goes to...

In the past, if work was giving me even minor hassles, I'd react like it was the end of the world - and, Jesus, what a perfect excuse to have a drink or ten.  Not that I needed an excuse - but even the smallest bit of justification would assuage my guilt - "oh my god! The cheese out of my breville has escaped!!!  What am I going to do!!!  I can't cope!  Aaaarrrrgghhhh!!!  I need a drink!"

Right now, work is throwing all sorts of difficulties at me.  Particularly team management; and juggling this and plate-spinning that - but it just doesn't seem to phase me.  I know what I need to to do, and how to address these things - so I'll just get on with them.  Simple as.  Cliché Alert: if life gives you lemons, then make lemonade (although, in my head I nearly wrote 'mayonnaise' - more of a Heston Blumenthal recipe, that one)...

But important stuff doesn't seem to bother me.  However... Trivial crap does (you might have gleaned this from my misanthropic ramblings about the more senior members of our society).  For example, it seems like inanimate objects conspire against me.  I try shutting the utensil drawer and some bastard whisk or an arseface potato masher gets stuck and the drawer wont shut!  The little bastards do it on purpose!!!.

The following three things that drive me to an apoplectic rage right now:

  1. When a knife is left on the bread board with even the tiniest bit of jam on it - any subsequent spreading action, where no jam is desired, contaminates the slice of toast/bread.
  2. It's pretty cold in the mornings at the moment, innit?  Well, when I'm in the shower, and that goddam wet, cold shower curtain accidentally touches me, I get so bleedin' angry.  It ruins my morning.
  3. The way in which iceberg lettuce is packaged in Tesco.  It rips, it twists, it drives me insane! (And brown lettuce - what's that all about?  It's sent to test me!)
I believed that becoming sober, doing AA and so on, would make me a more stoic, tolerant soul.  And, yes, in some ways it has; but generally I am still a grumpy, miserable, and deeply flawed individual.  Ah, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment