Tuesday 15 February 2011

You smoke, I choke... Cough!

I got an opportunity to flex my 'letting go' muscles this morning, and it was extremely rewarding.

I arrive at my local train station - an open-plan, underfunded, spartan affair.  There are 'no smoking' signs on the platform - which is daft, as this station is outside, in the middle of nowhere.  Folks smoke literally feet away from this Northern Rail-enforced 'exclusion zone' and, ironically, are very close to fellow waiting passengers.

looks like we got ourselves a reader...
This morning, I decide to head right along to the very end of the platform, away from the rest of the people.  I light up.  Remember, I'm outside, a good 30-40 feet away from everyone.  But not everyone...  An interesting chap was pacing up and down.  Walking past me, coming back, passing me again, turning round, and repeat.  He's not a train employee, has no 'official' capacity.  Just a fellow passenger.  One of us not one of them.

Well, my new friend engaged me and, within seconds, I'd got the measure of this character...

"The rules don't apply to you then?" he says on his downstream pass.

I shrug (bear in mind, my earphones are in. I'm listening to a very mellow bit of Tim Buckley).

"There are signs all along the station" he says, upstream.  My friend is getting agitated.

Now, the old me would, within seconds, find himself amidst a full-blown argument with this goon.  Not any more, I let it go - why should this 'little man' spoil my morning?

"Just go away, tedious man." I reply, wearily.

I smoke casually, enjoying every last molecule of nicotine.  Meanwhile, up and down my new pal paces, firing off missives on each pass:  I catch "No wonder the world is like it is today!" his blood pressure visibly rising; the next pass, he throws his arms up in consternation; and there were others, but I missed them due to my music.  As this pathetic man gets more and more angry, I can't help but get more and more amused.

Next up, the disposal of the dimp.  Normally, I would be perfectly happy to put this in the bin, but not today.  I flick the butt onto the railtrack - bad timing, he missed my gesture.  But, oh no, my little Urban Warrior has not finished.  Downstream, he has more to say.

"What now?", as I remove an earphone.

"I suppose you didn't put it in the bin then?".  Knew he couldn't resist!

"I ate it!", I reply.

Now, granted, it is the law.  And rules are meant to be followed, or we have anarchy and all that.  But the very fact that this 'rule' is in place, is preposterous.  It's outside, it's not a 'proper' closed-in station, and I was further away from everyone (apart from my new buddy) than the non-law-flouting smokers near the platform entrance. But thanks to 'letting go', I just didn't want to dignify this pompous prig with any form of response.  And, my oh my, was it satisfying.  My morning has been thoroughly delightful.  I bet his hasn't...

Let's hope I see Mr Angry tomorrow - I think I'll light-up two cigs at once!  Maybe even offer him one?

No comments:

Post a Comment